Is organic food really better for your baby?
There is a sudden demand for organic foods, organic products but do we even understand how organic is better than non-organic? Let’s just not follow trends without understanding the relevance.
So What Are Organic Foods?
Organic foods are those crops which are essentially grown without the use of synthetic pesticides and fertilizers. Though, certain minimal amount of insecticides, pesticides, and fertilizers might be required while growing organic food, as well.
However, these are lesser as compared to conventionally grown crops. Conventional farmers use more pesticides for protecting their produce from insects and diseases. These pesticides leave behind layers of residues which might not be good for health. It is worth mentioning here that even in food that is grown, non-organically the levels of pesticides, insecticides etc. do not exceed the recommended Government safety thresholds.
Is it a good idea to choose Organic food for babies?
- Babies are delicate and more sensitive to all kinds of pollutants. Therefore, feeding the kind of food that has been exposed to all sorts of Chemicals might expose your baby to the harmful effects of the residues left behind by these insecticides and fertilizers.
- Nutrition wise, there is no evidence of the Organic foods being superior. The nutrition content of organic foods is comparable to intensively farmed foods.
- Taste wise, organically grown crops, veggies and fruits taste much better due to intact flavours.
- It is environment-friendly.
- Organic milk has comparatively higher content of Omega-3 fatty acids when compared to non-organic milk. These fatty acids are great for maintaining a favourable lipid profile and protecting against a host of Cardiac ailments. These Omega 3 fatty acids also aid in brain development.
- You may also want to introduce your baby to organic meat as the meat which has been obtained from animals who have received lots of artificial hormones, medications, and prolonged antibiotics could be potentially harmful to health.
Points To Ponder
- You should always wash the fruits and vegetables you buy thoroughly with water regardless of the fact that they are organic or non-organic. This helps to remove whatever little residue these foods might have. You do not want to expose your baby to unnecessary chemicals.
- Nutritionally, organic fruits and veggies might not be superior.
- If you wash non-organic fruits and veggies thoroughly or dip them in Potassium Permanganate or Hydrogen Peroxide followed by washing, they too are healthy enough to consume. The above two substances help to remove almost all of the pesticides, medicines etc. from the produce.
Instead of being obsessed over the debate of Organic versus Non-organic, focus on giving your baby a balanced diet. Include foods from different nutrient groups, including carbohydrates, healthy fats, proteins, vitamins and minerals in their daily diet. Add fluids and water in ample quantities, as well. This helps prepare them for a lifetime of healthy eating. You need to bear in mind that organic food does not mean that it is more nutrient-dense though, there are clearly some benefits to choosing Organic food over its non-organic counterpart which has been listed above.
Disclaimer: This is not a sponsored post.