Last week in this new series that we have started called #MyFtinessMyWay and #FitnessForWomen, we had met Nancy, a 57 year old homemaker, who had left us all inspired with her fitness story. We received so much love for Nancy through your comments. Thank you so much for that :). We hope many women younger and in that age group got motivated and have started on their fitness route in one way or another. Not losing that spirit and reinforcing the theme, we bring to you another story of this woman-of-steel, Nirupama Sinha. Nirupama is a dietitian, Sports Nutritionist, Fitness Trainer and Consultant. You would say, why her? She is already professionally into fitness. She is expected to be fit. So first let’s meet her and then will let you on her secret.
So now coming back to why her? I have been witness to Nirupama’s strength and training on a common FB group which is dedicated to fitness. She really is a woman of great strength, but what is shocking for me is to know that she actually a mom to a 16 year old girl and a 11 year old boy. Wow! I could never fathom that! She is 39 years old and doesn’t look a day beyond twenties. Now that we are all in awe, let’s check her journey;
What was the main reason behind you to take up fitness?
It is an irony that despite playing multiple roles, women ignore their own health and well-being. In fact, the multi-responsibility avatar is precisely the reason why they should ensure good health for themselves.
Without realizing ,I had started leading a sedentary lifestyle which in turn had added quite a few pounds. It is true when they say that a healthy body makes a healthy mind. The weight gain further lead to depression and I started staying irritated very often. It was only when family & friends made me conscious that I became alert and aware of the health hazards that surrounded the people around. During the next 2-3 years it was not unusual for me to hear about people being diagnosed with health hazards like BP, Cholestrol, Diabeties etc. There were even some extreme cases where people collapsed in offices.
All this compelled me to rethink and reconsider my lifestyle and I decided to turn my life around, and there was no better way to do that than to channelize my extrovert personality and energy into health and fitness. My new found lease on life fired up a furnace in me as I continued to see noteable difference in my physique. Feeling my entire body burn while it worked in synergy was indescribable.
I have learnt this in a big way. Mother of 16 years old teenage daughter and 11 years old son at age of 39 I see myself in best shape, health and mind ever.
Any fitness advise for women?
Many housewives approach me for Diet consultation. They start with such an enthusiasm. But during their journey few of them just lack in achieving goal. Major reason that they don’t get time to cook for themselves to follow Diet Plans. A housewife who feed whole family doesn’t get time for herself and ready to take toll on her health but same time if any other family member demand the same thing She would be the first one to put extra efforts. Ladies, please understand How important your health is!
So many women are raised to put other’s needs before their own and when they do put themselves first, they feel guilty about it. “Some women confuse healthy self-care with being selfish”. Avoiding health concerns and symptoms is not the case only with rural and uneducated women, it is the same with smart, educated women, they too avoid going to the doctor, even when it should be a top priority.
We’re all trying to be superwoman and, therefore, simply don’t have time to take care of ourselves (or at least, that’s what we tell ourselves). If you don’t take care of yourself, you won’t be able to care for your spouse, your kids, or even maintain such a busy lifestyle.”
What according to you are the do’s and dont’s for women your age?
Ladies, don’t take your health for granted. Here are a few things you can start doing right now to make healthy habits a part of your routine:
- Replace high-sugar foods with low-sugar versions.
- Stock up healthy snacks. When you are shopping for groceries, pick up cheese, nuts, fresh and dried fruit, yogurt, wholegrain food, peanut butter, Cottage Cheese, Eggs, Poultry, etc
- Fit in exercise whenever you can. 30 min daily (NO EXCUSE) Any amount of exercise is better than none. Think of what would be most interesting to you and what best fits your schedule and budget.
- Get enough sleep. Even if you gain more time in your day by cutting back on sleep, you will be less effective throughout the day.
- Have a balanced diet. Have protein, fiber, fruit and vegetables on your plate. We ignore Protein in our meals. Which is the most important.
- How much you put on your plate– There’s a saying that says your eyes are bigger than your stomach. Sometimes when your eating and your stomach says I’m full that’s when you stop but let’s say you look at the food your mind says yes but you stomach says; NO WAY!.
- Eat when you have the desire..Do not eat when you’re full, eat when your stomach is just right. It will have room for dessert!
- Eat 5-6 meals in a day .Three major meals Breakfast, Lunch and Dinner and 2-3 mid meal snacks. Drink lots of water.Remember Discipline, hardwork and commitment make anything possible.
Your Fitness Mantra?
My Fitness Regime : I regularly set new goals to workout. I do 3-4 Days Weight training. Thrice in a week Yoga and twice in a week any Cardio Activity(swimming, Treadmill, Playing lawn tennis).
My Diet : I do mindful eating. I try to eat 5-6 times in a day. My diet is higher in Protein with good Fats and low in carbs. I have become more conscious of the effects of what I eat have on my health and my body. However, I also feel that you need to enjoy what you do and what you eat. If you don’t then maybe this lifestyle isn’t for you.
You can follow her on Facebook where she aims to inspire and advise other women on their fitness journey. You can get in touch with her at [email protected] for tips and diet consulation or any other queries.