Nowadays it’s not an uncommon sight when almost every kid has a tablet or a mobile phone in their hand. Kids are hooked to these electronic devices and it doesn’t seem to be a problem for a lot of parents. With such advancement in the field of technology, we often miss what it’s doing to the young impressionable minds of our kids.
What we seem to ignore is that these devices are harming the kids in ways beyond their understanding. So it falls upon the parents to limit the use of tablets or mobile phones by their kids. So are mobile phones and tablets ruining your kid’s life?
- Too much Information, too soon– When the internet was introduced it quickly became a source of endless information, a medium that had the ability to connect people from all over the globe. But for kids internet provides information that isn’t necessary to them way too soon. The internet has become a place for kids where there’s no control or restrictions.
- Increasing cases of ADHD– Studies show that usage of electronic devices before bed leads to delay in sleep time which in turns leads to less sleep. Also, since kids are usually indoors these days, their body becomes deficient of sunlight and other vitamins. All these things add up to a higher rate of diagnosis of Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD) in kids.
- Forever indoors– I remember when I was a kid, my parents had to literally drag me away from the playground every evening. We so loved to get dirty in the sand and mud. Those games that we used to play helped to develop skills such as creativity, imagination, team spirit, leadership, decision making and a lot more. These skills will only develop when the kids these days will step out away from their mobile phones.
- Dependency on electronic devices– Kids these days have become so habitual of these devices, that their decision-making skills, creativity, memory power are lacking seriously. Whether it’s while having dinner, or before bed, the kids are always hooked to their phones and tablets. This leads to their dependency on these devices to think as well.
- Social Awkwardness-since kids these days don’t get out more, they have fewer interactions with people. They do not face real life situations which will make them communicate with other kids their age. This leads to social awkwardness in kids. This may not be evident now, but eventually, it takes shape. And before you know it, it will develop awkwardness in social gatherings, teamwork etc.
I’m not saying gadgets are entirely wrong for your kids. But an excessive use of anything isn’t good. It may not be evident to you now, but eventually, it leads to hindrance on a kid’s growth. Spending a great percentage of their time on these gadgets will restrict their emotional, physical, mental growth. So make your kids go out more, don’t allow them to play on a tablet or a mobile phone all the time.