It is very important for parents to teach kindness and compassion to your kids, for their own sake. Kids who are growing in a compassionate environment and are taught to practice compassion blossom as happier adults. Compassionate kids are more flexible and adjusting. However, they also know the difference between being compassionate, kind and being taken for granted.
Dalai Lama says,” If you want others to be happy, practice compassion. If you want to be happy yourself, practice compassion.”
The virtues of kindness, gratitude, and compassion are universal. It is not easy to lecture your kids into doing something, these days. The only way to teach your kids to be kind is by incorporating kindness into your own actions and words, first.
How can you do that?
Set an example :
● Lead by example. If you are kind to your domestic help, neighbour, and relatives, your kids will automatically grasp your nature.
● They say kids are like wet cement; whatever falls on them leaves an impression.
● If your child sees that you make it a choice to lead a life full of kindness, they are sure to follow your footsteps.
Use the Golden words :
● Saying Thank you, Sorry, Welcome often in the way you communicate with those around you encourages your child to be full of gratitude for those who help us.
● Saying sorry when you are wrong is also an act of kindness as one keeps their ego aside and asks for an apology.
● An apology does not belittle you but improves and strengthens your relationships with others.
Sharing is Caring :
● Here, we are talking about sharing stuff as well as sharing kindness. You and your spouse can set the best example of sharing kindness. Committing mistakes and asking for an apology and being forgiven. This makes your child realize that it is okay to fail sometimes but you can still get along amicably with people as long as you ask for forgiveness or are being apologized to.
● Of course, sharing things is also one way to be kind but make your kids realize between somebody’s genuine demands and bullying.
● Teaching your kids the habit of donating their old games, toys, books, and clothes also teach them the art of letting go of their stuff and emotional attachment with articles.
To be kind is to give your time :
● At times, all a person needs from you is your time. For instance, visiting grandparents not only cheers them up but also makes them feel more motivated and emotionally healthy.
● Listening to a friend who is in emotional pain can benefit from sharing their concerns with you. Feed them with positive thoughts and that is all they need from you.
● Sometimes, saying NO to certain people is important, too but even that needs to be done with a certain degree of kindness and politeness.
Not creating nuisance is also to be kind :
● Not playing loud music when somebody is asleep or making their own bed so that mom does not get overworked are the little acts of kindness that create a difference in lives of people.
● These habit with the benefit you’re kids when they go to a boarding school or share a room with a mate at the university.
● By teaching kids to be kind to others by not creating a nuisance, you teach them responsibility and decorum.
Kids who are raised right can help towards creating stronger relationships, family values, and work ethics. So, when you teach your child the virtue of kindness, you are also contributing towards society, at large. This is how you can lead your child to build oneself in a better manner and make them a better person!