10 Nutrition and Fitness Tips for Moms This post is contributed by Deepa Gandhi who is a Blogger and a mom to two beautiful girls. Deepa shares how she keeps herself fit even though she works from home. Let’s get reading.
Do you know moms need to take care of their health as much as they take care of their kids?
Do you know as a mom you should not ignore any signs related to health?
Whether you are a stay at home mom, work at home mom or a working mom, health, and fitness should be your top priority. A healthy and happy mom means a happy family. Moms are always running around taking care of different things and it’s time to take charge of your health. Two important things to be taken care – Nutrition, and Fitness. I am sharing few tips to follow to stay healthy and fit-
- Eat healthy– Nutrition means eating sensibly and avoiding junk foods. Keep a track of what you eat, how much you eat and when do you eat. I know it’s not easy to follow a healthy time all the time. So, cheat days are allowed but the trick is to balance it out with physical activity.
- Exercise– My favourite workout is Dancing and Zumba. I also love walking and it is something which you all can easily do at your convenience. It’s all about taking out time from your busy schedule. I remember the time when I sprained my foot while dancing and stopped any kind of exercise for some time. It took me some time to get back to my exercise regime again. So, it’s all about priorities. Don’t think, just do it! Join a gym, dance, walk or run, but do not waste time thinking.
- Drink water– Water is very important to not only keep you hydrated but it also keeps you healthy. How? Water helps to speed up your metabolism and helps to burn fat faster. Drink at least 8 glasses of water in a day.
- Reach out- Ask for help if you need it at any point. It’s important not to be a super mommy all the time. We are also humans and we also need our own time and help and guidance at some point.
- Sleep- One more very important thing to take care is your sleeping patterns. Try to sleep when your baby sleeps and take a nap whenever possible. Sleep deprivation can also lead to weight gain and mood swings.
- Schedule – Planning ahead always helps. Schedule all your meetings and beforehand to avoid any last minute rush. Be prepared for any last minute emergencies and it also saves time.
- Stay busy- It’s important to keep yourself busy and active. If you are a stay at home mom, you can join a reading club or even join hobby classes. Pursue a hobby or a passion, something that you love doing.
- No skipping meals– Do not skip meals. Breakfast is the most important meal of the day. Skipping a breakfast is a complete no-no. Eat healthy breakfast within 30 minutes of waking up and you will be energised throughout the day. Include proteins, grains, and water to jump-start your metabolism.
- No Crash diets– I am against any kind of crash diet. Moms, do not go on a diet without proper consultation with an expert. Dieting without proper guidance can lead to different health problems like low blood sugar, dehydration, weak immune system and low metabolism.
- Work out with kids– No time to exercise? No problem. Walk with your kid in a stroller, jump ropes with your kids, play different sports with them or just move around the house and climb stairs. If you are a working mom who is worried about sitting whole day, try doing chair exercise and take 10 minutes walking breaks in between sitting.Attending PTM’s, doing laundry, cooking, helping with homework, shopping for kids and family, the list is endless. If you are not healthy, how will you take care of your family? Think and take the first step towards healthy living today.
Deepa Gandhi is a post graduate in Foods and Nutrition. She is a freelance Dietician and a writer in many fields like parenting, health care, and travel. She shares her experiences as a mom and as a nutritionist in her blog www.kreativemommy.com. She also enjoys teaching dance to small kids and ladies. She has a wealth of experience in choreographing for different events. As a mom and as a teacher, she is passionate about everything creative. She tries many meaningful activities that are engaging, and always fun for kids. Deepa has travelled a lot after marriage and now stays with her husband and two daughters in Bangalore.